What is whey protein? What are the benefits of taking whey protein? Which is the best whey protein for muscle gain? What are the different types of whey? What are the side effects of taking whey? These are some questions that you should ask yourself before going to buy a whey protein.
All of us have heard numerous things about different kinds of nutrition, but when it comes to muscle gain and weight loss the most famous is Whey Protein. Let us see what it actually is:
What is whey protein?
Whey protein is a mixture of proteins extracted from whey, which is the liquid part of milk which separates in the process of making cheese. Milk has two types of proteins in it namely; casein (80%) and whey (20%). The watery part you see when you open a yogurt container is actually whey which we often throw a-whey!
Whey protein on its own is quite tasteless hence is often found in different flavors in powder forms and is a relatively common protein supplement and also helps in improving the nutrient content of a person’s diet.
Uses of whey protein:
- Maintain Muscle Strength- Whey protein is an excellent supplement to help maintain muscle strength and is widely used by athletes.
- Counter Involuntary Weight Loss- Intake of whey protein can help people counter involuntary weight loss. Some researchers show that it can help decrease weight loss in HIV positive patients.
- Reduce Psoriasis Symptoms- Researches show that taking a specific amount of whey protein for a specified period of time can help reduce psoriasis symptoms.
Benefits of whey protein:
- Increasing muscle mass and strength- Whey protein supplements are mostly used by athletes, bodybuilders, fitness models, and people looking to improve their performance at the gym because they help in increasing muscle mass and strength and also effective in muscle protein synthesis (MPS).
- Promotes weight loss- Intake of proteins helps a person spend more energy than they normally do and in the process lessens the calorie intake, leading to significant loss of weight. While whey protein helps a person lose weight also helps them hold on to their muscle.
- Other health benefits- Whey protein is very high in amino acid cysteine which helps in raising the levels of glutathione which is the main antioxidant in our body’s cells, hence intake of whey protein has many other significant health benefits as listed below-
- Lowering blood pressure
- Controlling blood sugar levels
- Reducing symptoms of stress and depression
- Protection against cancer
- Reduction in symptoms of hepatitis
- Increase in bone mineral density
- Improvement in immune functions of HIV positive patients
Types of whey protein:
1. Isolate- Whey protein in its isolate form contains 90% or sometimes even more protein. It contains lesser amounts of fat, lactose, and nutrients than in the concentrated form. Below are the 4 best Isolate whey to boost your muscle strength.
2. Concentrate- The most delicious of all whey protein variants is the concentrated form. It contains 70-80% protein, with significant amounts of lactose and fat. Not only is this type of whey protein cheaper it also is the most naturally nutritious of all. Below is the 4 best concentrate whey protein.
3. Hydrolysate- Hydrolysate or hydrolyzed whey protein is in a pre-digested form implying that the body will absorb it faster, which will also result in a 30-40% more rise in insulin levels than in the isolate form.
Dosage of whey protein:
The recommended dosage of whey protein for a healthy adult who does not exercise regularly is suggested to be 0.8g per kg of body weight daily.
Although this value is suggested to be appropriate for more than 97% of healthy men and women it may vary from person to person according to their levels of physical activity and body requirements.
Side effects of whey protein:
There are some side effects of Whey protein it can be harmful to people with kidney and liver issues. It can cause an allergic reaction to many people, people with lactose intolerance are also often allergic to whey.
Consumption of whey protein in very high doses can also cause-
- Stomach pains
- Reduced appetite
Now we know what is whey protein and why it the best way to add some more protein in your diet. If you are bodybuilder or athlete then I will suggest you take at least 2 scoops every day because Whey Protein is the king of nutrition when it comes to muscle gain or weight loss.